Monday 21 November 2011

Not your granny's cabbage rolls

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cabbage-rolls-recipe2/index.html

I made these last night and even fed them to company.  Hubby was completely prepared to hate them, and my girlfriend didn't even tell her husband that I was making cabbage rolls for dinner for fear he would refuse to come.  However, I think they were all pleasantly surprised.  Company happily went home with leftovers for lunch and hubby was keen on lunch leftovers as well. I doubled the recipe and have a pan full for a girlfriend who just had a baby.  They would also freeze really well.  I served these with more brown rice and some steamed green beans, 

I did however, make a few important changes:
I used half canned tomatoes as directed and half plain pasta sauce like Prego. 
I used HALF the cream and 3/4 of the cooked rice. 
I used spicy Italian sausage from Costco instead of plain pork
substitute brown rice for white
grate a small zucchini into meat mixture
and add fresh basil into meat and sauce
oh, and I'd go easy on the sugar....start with half then try. 
Add some Franks Red Hot Sauce into meat and sauce if you like it spicy. 

I hope you enjoy!!!! I really liked them. 

1 comment:

  1. I thought the cabbage rolls were even better the next day!

    ReplyDelete