Monday 21 November 2011

Chalkboard Frame


I have made so many of these as gifts! They are very simple to make. All you need is:
- an old picture frame with glass (i get mine at Salvation Army)
- Chalkboard Paint (Home Depot)
- Paintbrush
- flat screwdriver
- staple gun
- Ribbon
- spray paint in the color of your choice
- work gloves to handle glass.

Take the frame apart with the screwdriver to pry the back open. Spray paint the frame (and just the frame) with multiple light coats. Clean the glass with Windex or other glass cleaner. Use paintbrush and paint one side of the glass as directed (takes at least two coats in my experience and a few days to completely dry.) When it is all dry, CAREFULLY put it all back together. I keep the ugly art in behind the painted glass because A)I find it supports the glass nicely, and b)some of the "art" is just too ugly and funny to toss. (I have broken some glass at this stage being impatient, not gonna lie)

If desired, attach ribbon at the top of the frame with the staple gun and tie in a bow. Be careful NOT to staple gun into the glass or you will be starting again. (I fold the ribbon over a few times to create a few layers where I staple it to make sure it's strong.) Lastly treat the ends of the ribbon with clear nail-polish or fray check.

Happy Crafting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment